Summer days feel incomplete without a mai tai, be it the real deal or a delicious mai tai mocktail. And this mai tai mocktail recipe is one of my favorites - it'll have you imagining yourself somewhere tropical and breezy in no time!
With its combination of fruity and fragrant flavors, you're sure to enjoy this zero-proof recipe on a hot summer's day. In fact, you might like it even better than the "real thing!" Grab your favorite tropical fruit and put together a delicious mai tai mocktail as if you were island-hopping from one tiki bar to the next!
This classic tropical drink, true to the tiki culture, comes from Victor J. Bergeron and was created for his restaurant's cocktail menu, Trader Vic's in California. Originally comprised of a squeeze of fresh lime juice, orange curaçao, rock candy syrup, french orgeat syrup, and a 17-yr Jamaican rum. Over time, this mai tai drink has changed, as do many things.
Virgin Mai Tai Ingredients
- Orange Juice - Freshly squeezed orange juice is best, but use your favorite!
- Pineapple Juice - I don't own a juicer, so canned 100% pineapple fruit juice is for me. Dole is always a solid, tasty brand.
- Zero Proof Rum - A dark rum alternative with a smooth, distinct rum flavor. Use another rum alcohol-free spirit if you have one on hand.
- Dash of Grenadine - If you have a jar of maraschino cherry juice, that would be perfect in place of the grenadine. For sweetness, simple syrup can be used in place of the grenadine.
- Sprite - Lemon-lime soda of your choice.
The Best Non-Alcoholic Spirits For This Recipe
There are quite a few brands of alcohol-free spirits out there. While my husband is biased and LOVES all of Lyre's products, they're just one great option. So enjoy my rum recommendations that are seriously comparable to the real thing. Cheers!
How To Make A Virgin Mai Tai Cocktail
- Add orange juice, pineapple juice, and your zero-proof rum in a cocktail shaker.
- Add crushed ice and shake until chilled.
- Pour over a short rocks glass full of crushed Ice, filling it halfway.
- Add a couple of dashes of grenadine, then top with Sprite or your chosen lemon-lime soda.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge, orange slice, or cherries.
Batching Mai Tai Mocktails
This recipe makes just a couple of drinks, depending on the size of your glasses, but to really share the joy of the Mai Tai, you'll want to make a large batch of them! Change the servings in the recipe card below, prepare, then serve in a large pitcher or punch bowl. Don't add ice to the pitcher, though, as it will dilute the mocktail before it's enjoyed. Pour over ice in individual glasses.
Mocktail To Traditional Mai Tai Cocktail
Looking for an alcoholic version of this Mai Tai mocktail recipe? Nothing wrong with an aged rum cocktail. The original Mai Tai recipe and most renditions of these classic cocktails are made with white rum and dark rum.
- Dark Rum - Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaican Rum
- White Rum - Saint James Imperial Agricole Blanc
Drink Responsibly & Enjoy!
Expert Tips For The Best Mai Tai
Just a couple of tips to create a tasty virgin mai tai recipe.
- Garnish with your choice of fresh fruit. Fresh orange slices, pineapple wedges, or cherries are all acceptable options.
- Crushed ice is the ice of choice in this mocktail. While regular ice cubes will keep your drink chilled, crushed ice is used for Mai Tai's original recipe. It is also recommended to shake with crushed ice as well.
- Bring the beach vibe home and throw on some cocktail umbrellas!
Enjoy Another Delicious Drink On Me!
- Mocktail : Orange Grapefruit Punch
- Mocktail : Sparkling Blood Orange
- Non-Alcoholic Strawberry Daiquiri Recipe without Mix
- The Best Non-Alcoholic Pina Colada Recipe
- The Best Non Alcoholic Gin and Tonic Recipe
If you made this recipe, I would be so grateful if you would give it a ⭐ rating and leave a review in the comments! I'd love to see your drink in action as well! Post it on Instagram with the ️#MocktailForest and tag me @MocktailForest!
Mocktail : Mai Tai
- 2 ounces Orange Juice
- 2 ounces Pineapple Juice
- 2 ounces Zero Proof Rum
- Dash of Grenadine
- In a cocktail shaker add orange juice, pineapple juice and your zero proof rum.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Pour over a short glass full of crushed Ice, filling half way.
- Add a couple dashes of grenadine then top with Sprite, or your chosen lemon lime soda.
- Garnish with pineapple, orange, or cherries.