This Frozen Mudslide Mocktail recipe is sure to satisfy your frozen boozy cocktail cravings. All of the fun, taste, and chocolate, without the alcohol!
Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
Who do we have to thank for these tasty frozen drinks? The original mudslide cocktail was brought together in the 1970s by Old Judd, a bartender at the Wreck Bar on Grand Cayman Island. Old Judd added Bailey’s Irish cream to a White Russian, creating a new creamy drink, the classic Mudslide.
The frozen Mudslide cocktail, or mocktail rather, is reminiscent of a hazelnut mocha frappe that you can get from your local coffee shop. The frozen version lends itself to being easily customizable.
Frozen mudslides are a dessert drink I could have over and over. They remind me of the milkshake my mom used to make me when I was little.
- French vanilla ice cream – I choose french vanilla ice cream specifically for its custardy texture. But don’t be afraid to try plain vanilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream for your base.
- Cold coffee – Use leftover chilled coffee, or prepare a cold brew.
- Hazelnut syrup – You can find hazelnut syrup in the coffee aisle at your local grocery store.
- Chocolate syrup or chocolate sauce – Use your favorite brand of chocolate drizzle syrup.
- Heavy cream – If you’d like to add some more flavor try Irish cream coffee cream in place of the cream.
- Milk – Any milk option will work great. Soy, almond, oat, and dairy milk of all varieties.
- Whipped cream – For this recipe, I am using So Delicious Dairy Free CocoWhip. An easy can of redi whip works great too, or a dollop of whipped cream from a tub.
- Garnish – Chocolate sprinkles, maraschino cherries, and a pinch of cinnamon. Of course, measuring these items with your heart is a must.
What blender to use?
When it comes to blended drinks, having the right blender is essential. You’ll want one that will blend with enough power to crush ice, make our milkshake recipe, and smoothies smooth and creamy.
A good recommendation is to be sure your blender has a strong motor, stainless steel blades, and variable speed control.
The blender I used for this recipe is 1400 watts and is a full-sized blender. It is this exact blender.
Go get your blend on!
How To Make
- In a blender add the french vanilla ice cream, cold coffee, choice of milk, and hazelnut syrup.
- Blend until smooth. Add heavy cream then blend until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup along the inside of your chilled glass. Tipping the glass at an angle will help keep the chocolate syrup on the inside wall of the glass.
- Carefully pour mudslide mix into your prepared glass.
- Top with whipped cream
- Garnish with maraschino cherries, chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Add a fun straw and enjoy! Don’t get brain freeze…
Mudslide Vs. White Russian
A Mudslide and a White Russian are very similar. Aside from this particular recipe, since we’re making a frozen version of the Mudslide. A White Russian isn’t frozen, rather it’s served in a rock glass.
A White Russian recipe is made with Kahlua, Vodka, and heavy cream. While a Mudslide is made with those same ingredients PLUS Bailey’s Irish Cream.
Mocktail -> Cocktail
To turn this creamy frozen mudslide mocktail into a frozen cocktail isn’t too hard.
Omit the coffee and hazelnut syrup.
- Add 1.5 ounces each of Kahlua and Bailey’s Irish Cream.
- Extra boozy? Add another 1.5 ounces of Vodka.
Get creative with the Vodka! Flavored Vodkas can really enhance the flavors depending on which one you choose.
Drink responsibly & enjoy!
Dairy Free Options
All of the dairy components can easily be swapped out with non-dairy alternatives. I haven’t ever been tested for dairy intolerance, but there have been times when too much dairy proves to be unsettling.
Try some of these swaps to make this frozen mudslide easier on the belly.
- Milk – Coconut milk, Almond milk, Lactose-free milk, Soy milk, Oat milk. Whatever your milk preference is should suffice.
- Ice Cream – My favorites are Oatly & So Delicious dairy-free. Check out godairyfree.org for the Best Dairy-Free Vanilla Ice cream.
- Heavy Cream – Silk brand makes a dairy-free heavy cream. This should be easily available in your local grocery store.
- Chocolate syrup – While it seems like Chocolate syrup would have dairy in it, Nestles chocolate syrup is already dairy-free. Torani chocolate syrup doesn’t have dairy either. Good to go!
- Whipped cream – So Delicious Dairy Free CocoWhip! This is what we’re using in this recipe anyways.
– Chill your glasses before serving to prevent the vanilla ice cream from melting.
– Bring on the chocolate! Switch out regular milk for chocolate milk, and vanilla ice cream for chocolate ice cream. Even try for a coffee ice cream.
– Choose a flavored coffee. By default, I make this recipe with hazelnut coffee since that’s what I drink on a daily basis.
– Missing that boozy milkshake? Swap out the heavy cream for Baileys Irish Cream coffee creamer. Still non-alcoholic, with that Irish cream liqueur flavor.
– In addition to hazelnut syrup, try a coffee liqueur syrup for some extra coffee flavor.
– A large hurricane glass will definitely showcase your perfect mudslide, though any tall glass will work.
– Using a large smoothie straw will ensure maximum delicious dessert consumption!
The Forest Is Full Of Mocktails
- Mocktail : Bushwacker
- Mocktail : Mango Mule
- Mocktail : Sparkling Blood Orange
- Mocktail : Bloody Mary
- Blackberry Tea
Mocktail : Frozen Mudslide
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 3–4 drinks 1x
1 quart French Vanilla Ice Cream
1/2 cup cold coffee
1 teaspoon hazelnut syrup
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
1/4 ounce So Delicious Dairy Free CocoWhip
Garnish: Chocolate sprinkles, Maraschino cherries, and a pinch of cinnamon
- In a blender add ice cream, cold coffee, choice of milk, chocolate syrup, and hazelnut syrup.
- Blend until smooth. Add the heavy cream then blend again until well mixed.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup along the inside of your chilled glass.
- Carefully pour prepared mudslide mix into your glass.
- Top with whipped cream
- Garnish with maraschino cherries, chocolate sprinkles, and a pinch of cinnamon.
Chill your glasses before serving to prevent the vanilla ice cream from melting.
Bring on the chocolate! Switch out regular milk for chocolate milk, and vanilla ice cream for chocolate ice cream. Even try for a coffee ice cream.
Choose a flavored coffee. By default, I make this recipe with hazelnut coffee since that’s what I drink on a daily basis.
Missing that boozy milkshake? Swap out the heavy cream for Baileys Irish Cream coffee creamer. Still non-alcoholic, with that Irish cream liqueur flavor.
In addition to hazelnut syrup, try a coffee liqueur syrup for some extra coffee flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 Mocktail
- Calories: 864
- Sugar: 42.7 g
- Sodium: 149.5 mg
- Fat: 19.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.1 g
- Protein: 6.7 g
- Cholesterol: 53.5 mg