Try this Virgin Bushwacker if you still crave those fancy drinks without the hangover! Enjoy the boozy taste of a Zero Proof Rum Alternative by Ritual.
Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
First invented by Bartender Angie Conigliaro & Tom Brokamp on St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands in 1975 at the Ship’s Store as a “Tropical White Russian”. Lucky us, I say!
This will be the best Bushwacker drink recipe you’ll find, Virgin of course! A popular drink among your friends it’s sure to become, a good time for sure.
There are many variations of this “Adult Milkshake”. I am hoping to turn this boozy milkshake into a family-friendly cocktail that you can add to your frozen drinks recipes list.
Be mindful that this recipe is far off from the standard recipe as most of the ingredients in the alcoholic version are essentially just alcohol and ice. The joke is that a Virgin Bushwacker is just a glass of ice. Not today friends!!
- 2 oz Dark Rum Alternative – My recommendation is Ritual Zero Proof Rum Alternative. All of the flavor, none of the alcohol! Vanilla, Spice, and everything you love about Rum.
- Don’t miss out on that delicious dark Rum flavor even when enjoying this mocktail. Beckett’s Non-alcoholic Spirits offers a NA Coconut Rum that may interest you as well.
- 2 oz Coffee Liqueur Syrup – Traditionally made with Kahlua coffee liqueur, for this recipe we’re using the next best non-alcoholic thing. DaVinci Coffee liqueur flavoring is what we’re using today.
- 2 oz Chocolate syrup – Original recipe for the frozen Bushwacker calls for dark Creme De Cacao which is replaced with Chocolate syrup in this recipe.
- Other options to help create those chocolate flavors are chocolate extract or chocolate powder. If using a chocolate powder, mix with water until you reach a liqueur-type consistency.
- 2 oz Cream of Coconut – Don’t mistake this for Coconut Cream, they are NOT the same. Coconut cream is very thick and unsweetened. Cream of Coconut is syrupy and sweet. They are not interchangeable. Coco Lopez is a great brand. For this recipe, I’ll be using Coco Real Cream of Coconut. I like this squeeze bottle option!
- 2 oz Milk – Whole milk, Soy, Oat, or Almond. Choose your favorite!
- Ice cubes – Frozen water squares, and crushed ice is ideal to start with.
- Garnish: Grated nutmeg, shaved chocolate, whipped cream, or a maraschino cherry or two or three.
How To Make
- In a blender add equal parts Rum, Coffee Liqueur syrup, Cream of Coconut, Chocolate Syrup, Milk, and Ice.
- Blend to combine all the ingredients until smooth
- Line the inside of your glass with the chocolate syrup. (Optional)
- Pour in your blended mixture and top with whipped cream and chosen garnishes. Grated fresh nutmeg is recommended.
Mocktail -> Cocktail
To turn this Virgin Bushwacker drink into a boozy milkshake, swap out the following.
- Rituals Rum Alternative —> Your favorite dark rum
- Coffee liqueur syrup —> Kahlua
- Chocolate Syrup —> Dark crème de cacao
What is a Flora Bama Bushwacker?
This particular recipe comes from the Flora Bama yacht club in Perdido Key, FL.
You’ll find one version or another of this recipe all throughout the region.
However, the Flora Bama recipe will typically call for these ingredients in addition to the ones listed under the Mocktail to Cocktail section.
- Dark rum & light rum
- Ice Cream
-For an extra creamy Bushwacker, try replacing the Ice Cubes with 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream, or even coconut ice cream.
-After blending if your cocktail is too thick, add milk or half and half then blend again until smooth.
-Garnish your frozen cocktail or Mocktail rather, with fresh fruit. Banana slices or diced-up strawberries are some of our favorites. Guaranteed to still taste delicious!
-Take it even further and add the fruit to the blender when mixing.
-To keep your mocktail cool for longer, chill your glasses prior to filling.
-Do you like a refreshing Pina colada? This easy Bushwacker recipe is essentially a Chocolate milkshake version! If you’re missing the Pineapple, feel free to add it to your garnish list.